Friday, October 21, 2011

Fling Chune FRIDAY: Ya Rayah

Happy Friday [night]! I'm sorry that I ran late today but that was for 2 reasons. First, I was in an all-day conference and there was no free wi-fi at the location (I know, right?!). But more significant was that I really couldn't think of a chune to fling today...nothing really came to my spirit as something worth sharing with you. Until now...

Let me just warn you up front: what I have to say will most likely be considered "anti-American", so you may feel the need to stop reading or even discontinue following my blog.  And the truth is, I'm really OK with that.

Like I said earlier, I wasn't feeling any particular song this week. Nothing especially profound caught my attention until Mu'ammar Al-Qadhafi was killed yesterday.  I am not a supporter of him or his regime in any way, shape or form, yet I found nothing to rejoice about when I found out that he was dead.  I extend the same feelings regarding the deaths of Saddam Hussein, Osama bin-Laden (and if ya wanna get fancy, Anwar al-Awlaki).  As far as America--and most of the Western world--is concerned, these men represented pure, unadulterated evil.  Yes, I agree that they did awful things both to their own people and to Americans, but who on God's earth made America the interplanetary police?? Aren't there enough domestic injustices to deal with instead of getting involved in others' affairs?? But since we insist on enforcing peace and democracy around the world, where was the U.S. military when the Rwandan genocide went down in 1994? Nowhere to be found...but they were live and direct in Iraq in '90 and Bosnia a few years after that. I won't go any further down that road but I will say this: some horrendous atrocities have been committed under the good 'ol "stars and stripes", and this country has much to atone for.  If there is a God and He is just--and I believe that both are true--America will be judged like every other kingdom, dynasty and empire before it.

On that note, tonight's chune is a nod to Middle Eastern music.  Rai is a genre that hails from Algeria, which, to my knowledge, has not been involved in any political or terroristic upheaval as of late.  Ya Rayah is a popular rai folk song and this version is performed by Rachid Taha.


No comments:

Post a Comment