Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Interview with Imade iN Truth, Part 2

Here we go for the sequel to the first part of my interview with Imade iN Truth



The Person Behind the Name


peculiar VIrtue [pVI]: Your name has a unique ‘ring’ to it; especially since you go out of your way to provide its pronunciation. For me, and for all your fans out there, what’s the story behind your guv’ment name, as well as your handle: Imade in Truth?

Imade iN Truth [IiT]: My Nigerian father named me Imade (ee-ma-day), and according to what I’ve been told, it means “I will not fail”. It’s funny because though this name may seem “weird” to people, I’ve had it my whole life. I’ve always said as a joke that I want to be a one-named sensation like Beyonce or Usher. Gotta use my name for something!

My handle “Imade iN Truth” came from wanting to be in truth in everything I did. It’s also a double meaning because I’m made in truth as well. I wanted my blog to reflect that we are create [by God] to be people of truth. It’s a reflection of my personal relationship with God.


pVI: I heard that, girl! So, tell me, where is ‘home’ for you? What were you like growing up? Any major transformation between your “wonder years” and who you are now?

IiT: This is a complex question because I never felt like I belonged to any geographic location. I spent my early childhood years in Teaneck, New Jersey. I absolutely loved it. It would have been my “home”, but my mom moved to Greensboro, North Carolina when I was nine and I’ve stayed in the state since. I was raised by a Northern-minded family while being in the South, so I’ll just say that I’m a global citizen. Right now, I’m aiming to relocate to a bigger (but manageable) music scene like Washington D.C.

Growing up was…interesting. I never felt like I belonged anywhere and I felt uncomfortable with myself. I’m 24, and I’m just accepting myself for who I am. As a young child, I was a fearless kid who sang solos and fake shouted in church. Then I moved to this foreign world called the South. I felt like an alien. People talked funny and the kids picked on me because I was “too dark”. I was also intelligent, and that caused a lot of “trouble” for teachers who thought that black kids were dumb. The world suddenly became scary to me, so I retreated to the game of basketball and stuffed my private written thoughts in a shoebox. My childhood taught me how to become two people, and now I’m finally becoming one.



pVI: Hmm... interesting, indeed.  So within this environment, were there any specific people or circumstances that you can thank--or blame--for influencing the course of your life up to this point?

IiT: I’m shaped by the absence and presence of very influential people in my life. I’m shaped by the absence of my father because it motivated me to work harder than the average two parent kid. It also produced a level of compassion and authenticity that I never would have had. I’m definitely motivated by mom’s work ethic (she raised three kids on her own by the way) and her never-ending hunger to learn new things, even if it’s fear-mongering, but I digress.

To this day, Ms. Broome, my high school English teacher, continues to be this haunting voice in the back of my head. She told me to major in English because she identified my writing talent. She complimented me to the point of embarrassment. I went to this ghetto high school where teenage pregnancy is not an occurrence; it’s a full-blown season like winter or fall. I’ve been so psychologically battered up to this point that I didn’t take my writing seriously. But God used Ms. Broome to remind me that I had a gift that needs to be nurtured. Almost every time I write, I remind myself that this is what I was created to do. And I thank God for Ms. Broome saying that. I even spoke with her a few weeks ago and told her that I wanted to pursue writing professionally.


pVI: Wow--and look at how far God has brought you!  It’s great that you’re still in touch with her--HOLLA to Ms. Broome! LOL 

IiT: Yes. Another major figure is someone I haven’t even met in person yet. Robyn Ann Lawson (founder/editor of Salty Magazine) reached out to me when I treated my blog like a glorified Facebook newsfeed. I wasn’t even sure if Jesus was reading my posts back then. But Robyn saw potential in my writing and wanted me to write music reviews for her magazine. That was when I reached an unfounded level of sobriety. I need to take this “blogging thing” more seriously. And this only happened in March…crazy. 

pVI:  And I’m also a fan of SALTY--love their content as a contemporary Christian publication!  Hey Robyn--BIG UP!!! LOL

 To be concluded with part 3: The Soul of a Music Lover



No comments:

Post a Comment