Friday, April 26, 2013

Fling Chune FRIDAY... finally!

Yes, yes, y'all!  I know it's been forever since the last time I flung [past tense of 'fling'?] a chune your way... please say that you forgive me!  I've still been trying to stabilize myself spiritually so I can provide the quality HOLY HOTNESS that you've come to know and love. ;-)  The struggle is real but so is my God!

You've waited patiently for long enough, so let's get to it!  This week's chune came out of the blue as I was going thru my iTunes looking for something I hadn't heard in a while... and this definitely fits the bill.  It was originally released in 1999 by the Kenoly Brothers. [The who?!]  Yeah, I can understand that reaction, except if you're older than 25 and/or listened to mainstream Christian music in the late 80s/early 90s, you MUST recognize the name Ron Kenoly!  Like, before there was Jesus Culture... Byron Cage... Hillsong... Israel Houghton... Fred Hammond... there was Dr. Ron Kenoly, thankyouverymuch!  I wanna say that this man is to Praise and Worship music what James Brown was to soul--the GODfather.

Anyway, the man passed on his musical DNA to his children, 2 sons in particular, who started their own group in the late 90s: The Kenoly Brothers.  Their flavor is more urban/R&B so that's right up my alley... plus, who doesn't get excited about [FINE] young men singing for Jesus?  *Wait... did I say that out loud?* So yeah, this particular chune isn't on that boom-bap vibe but I love it because it's just piano and vocals... they.can.actually.saaaaang.  The arrangement reminds me of Shai's Comforter or the acoustic version of If I Ever Fall in Love, and there's even a nod to K-Ci [Jodeci] with that trademark "Woooh, yeeeah!" #classic90sR&B  And then there's the lyrics; it's a literal love song to the Lord that sends me straight into worship mode.  I can remember that this chune was a big part of my return to Jesus back in college and it will always have a special place in my heart!

Hope you enjoy this throwback as much as I do! Have a blessed weekend. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment