Friday, July 29, 2011

Fling Chune FRIDAY: Balancê

Happy Friday, errybody!  I'm sorry that you haven't heard much from me this week, but I'm gonna make up for it with this Friday's chune: a world music feature. :o)  I'm even posting it early, so no repeats of last week.

So the chune I'm flingin' today, Balancê by Sara Tavares, comes from another set of islands: Cape Verde, off Africa's western coast.  It's a former Portuguese colony so that's the language of the song, although it may actually be in Criolo (creole of Portuguese and African language(s)).

Either way, I first discovered Sara in 2006 and her album of the same title is highly recommended! It's rather mellow and I think only one song is in English, but can be enjoyed regardless of understanding the lyrics. If I could describe her "vibe", it would be this: think Bob Marley and Enya having a lovechild and raising her in West Africa.

So with no further ado, please help yourselves to some Balancê [gotta luv the shout out to Bob Marley at 1:42!]

No comments:

Post a Comment