Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Molting

I've been in the midst of a serious relapse for the past 2 weeks or so, primarily struggling with lust. Yup, that infamous 'deadly sin' has plagued my thoughts to the point of severely irrational thought patterns. But here's the [really] bad part--oh, how I've enjoyed it... until about yesterday.
 
Constantly asking God to forgive me and help me to stop indulging in deliciously sinful thoughts became a recent empty ritual because I knew it was wrong, but I didn't allow my will to overpower my mind--rather, my flesh. That part of humanity which remains in constant battle with our spirituality had me all wrapped up. And then--thankfully--the Holy Spirit granted me a profound revelation in the form of a process that's as natural as nature itself: molting. Just in case the term doesn't sound familiar, let's take it back to 3rd grade science class for just a moment.

molt:

1. verb (used without object) - (of birds, insects, reptiles, etc.) to cast or shed the feathers, skin, or the like, that will be replaced by a new growth.
2. verb (used with object) - to cast or shed (feathers, skin, etc.) in the process of renewal.
That's the technical definition above, but how does that apply spiritually? I'm so glad you asked! Giving my heart to Jesus was the first of many steps in becoming more like Him. As time passed and I became more mature in my Christian walk, I started outgrowing certain things that were natural to me--things that, before, I didn't think twice about: kinda like the skin [flesh] on my body. It takes a while for the changes on the inside to manifest themselves externally, but slowly, yet surely, a transformation takes place.

In the animal world, the entire outer flesh must be discarded to facilitate growth, and ultimately, life. Molting doesn't happen all at once, though. One must wriggle and writhe out of what is now a snare; the old doesn't want to let go but the newness underneath will be stifled unless the two part ways. At some point, it's very possible to get caught halfway between the two--knowing the potential that's waiting to be revealed but not wanting to let go of the comfort of the good ol' flesh. (You know, like that comfy, torn, stained and faded t-shirt that you never wanna get rid of!) Well, I definitely got stuck in the process and it was a scary place to be!
photo credit: "HammerFallsAoM" on PhotoBucket.com
 
Then, this morning in my time with God, I was granted some spiritual insight regarding my situation: You need to drop this dead[ly] weight--step out of the flesh and into My Spirit. That just about ended my season of reveling in the lust of the flesh. The way to loose this dead flesh off of me is to immerse myself [literally, roll around] in the Spirit so that only the new, good, holiness of me remains.

Sure, it sounds simple enough, but when there's an old patch of dying flesh that's holding on for dear life, it will make its presence known! So when, not if, the next 'flare-up' happens, this is what Romans 8:12-14 [NIV] suggests:
...we have an obligation—but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live. For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God.
 
be blessed (while molting),
pVI

No comments:

Post a Comment