Friday, February 17, 2012

Fling Chune FRIDAY: Chipolopolo

Happy Friday to one and all!!  This week kicked off on a stressful note; and then there was yet another Valentine's day as a single woman... but it's all good. I'm just glad that the weekend is here!

Also this week, history was made by the southern African nation of Zambia as their football [soccer] team won the African Cup of Nations for the first time--ever.  I've only 'met' one person from Zambia, and that was through a social networking site, but I was happy for him and his country in clinching this win on Monday.  Honestly, I'm not big on the sport, except when an African team is kicking the crap outta those balls--or hosting a major event, as South Africa did in 2010.  But the fervor that soccer hooligans fans show for their teams, around the world, is nothing short of amazing!

So this week's chune is dedicated to Zambia's football team--aka Chipolopolo--in the form of a song by the same name.  According to my friend from "Zed" (as Zambia is affectionately known by its people), Chipolopolo means "bullet".  So that's your random African fact for the day!  Oh, and holla to Imade iN Truth for putting me on to this track, which happens to be by Christian artist, Pompi.

Enjoy!
pVI


2 comments:

  1. I think it's cool that even in another language the vibe comes through.
    Did you leave off the Z or is ambia another nickname? Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the freakiest thing... for whatever reason, the letter "Z" doesn't show up on my blog (and I put quotation marks around it to prove a point)!

    ReplyDelete