Wednesday, September 07, 2011

It's the little things...

I was early for my Zumba class so I decided to sit in my car for a while and listen to the radio. As happens more often than I care to admit, my mind eventually started to wander. It decided to settle on a long-time gripe I have going on with God: my cruel and unusual, seemingly perpetual state of singleness. I won't make you suffer through my barrage of thoughts and words to God but the crux of it today was that I felt invisible to the opposite sex. Emotionally, my existence amounts to the process of petrification... no, seriously--I feel cold and hard, as if I am slowly turning to stone.

So I was pleading with talking to God about this--of course, anyone looking into my car would swear that I was having a bonafide conversation with the voices in my head--when I told Him something to the effect of "God, throw me a bone, here! If my soulmate isn't ready to appear right now, at least some positive [as in non-relationship] testosterone in my life would be greatly appreciated!" 

I'm sure I had a lot more to ask and to say, but I decided to just give it up and head inside the gym. I still had plenty of time before class so I was walking deliberately slowly up the stairs and towards the front door. Approaching the entrance from the opposite direction was a uniformed National Guardsman, and I couldn't help but notice that he was tall, attractive and had a nice physique. *eye candy proximity alert* If I was walking at a normal pace, we would have hit the door at the same time, and I didn't feel like finding out which one of us was supposed to walk through the door first. Nowadays, if guys are in a good mood they might kick the door back open after they pass through. Whatever... But Mister Military Man decided to defend my honor [sorry for the cheesy reference; couldn't help it] by opening the door and holding it open until I made my way through it!  It took me a couple of seconds to process his gesture (since it hadn't happened in a while) before I smiled and thanked him.

WHAT just happened here?!? I'll tell you what happened. As trivial as that moment in time may seem now, I thanked God as I walked to the locker room--for hearing and answering my rant in the car prayer. To be treated like a lady by a gentleman is something that I revel in, but it shouldn't catch me--or any other female--off guard. Not having any meaningful interaction with guys in such a long time just added to my appreciation of that single instant... God knew that I needed that boost SO badly just then and He made it happen just for me.

Thank you Lord, for reminding me that you still care.

Sincerely,
pVI

P.S. As if it were a prophetic event, Waka Waka was in the Zumba lineup tonight! Things like this may be random, but they happened all the time when I was preparing to go to Ghana--and that trip was off the chain!--so I pray that this is a good sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment