Sunday, December 25, 2011

What about Joseph?

I know that today is supposed to be about Jesus--and rightfully so--but I've been thinking about Joseph.  Earlier today, while watching The Nativity Story, his character (as portrayed in this film) really jumped out at me.  Not to spoil it for those who may not have seen it, but there are a few scenes that really make me admire the [kind of] man Joseph was.

Photo credit: Wikimedia.org

For example, his reaction to Mary's pregnancy was nothing short of remarkable--especially considering that his fiance` was not having his baby! This was even before he was tipped off in a dream, so his true character was one of integrity and compassion.  He wasn't tryna be spiteful and drag Mary's name through the mud, even though he had every right to, and more: the law actually called for her to be stoned to death (for the apparent charge of adultery).

Though I couldn't find corresponding illustrations in the Bible, the movie has an extended scene showing the journey Joseph and Mary took from Nazareth to Bethlehem for the census ordered by King Herod.  He led them through the desert for several days, and he and Mary seemed to bond during that time.  But what really impressed me about the journey was how Joseph put his leadership swag on full blast. He walked until his feet bled and never uttered a complaint. While Mary and the donkey carrying her got rest, he prayed. He fed the family--including the donkey--first and took what was left.  And when Mary went into labor in Bethlehem, he was her doula... mind you, men weren't allowed anywhere near childbirth activity in those days. If these aren't the characteristics of a true man of God, then I don't what else to say!
.
Throughout the movie, I found myself becoming infatuated with Joseph's persona. Don't laugh, I know it sounds corny but it's true!  I was thinking things like "No wonder he was chosen to raise the son of God!"; and "Now THAT is the kind of man that I'm holding out for!"  Seriously, a man of integrity and Godliness is beyond sexy!!  See, for a man like Joseph, the whole wives submit to your husbands* thing immediately becomes a non-issue for me. #truestory  I would trust his judgement without hesitation because he would be completely submitted to God.  And though he would make mistakes, as we all do, I would still receive his leadership because he consistently demonstrates that our family is his top priority.

All of these considerations show me the importance that God places on the cohesive family unit.  Yes, Jesus was God's son but He still ensured that there was a positive father figure in His life on Earth.  Mary could have just been a single mother--which wasn't probable for that day and age, but neither was immaculate conception--yet both parents were chosen to raise Him together.  It's not always possible to do that nowadays; I know, being the product of a single mom.  But thinking about Joseph's role only solidifies my resolve to unite, under the hand of God, with a man who is worthy of starting and raising a family with me.

Christmas blessings ,
pVI

*referenced Scriptures: Ephesians 5:21-23 and Colossians 3:18


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your insight on this! I've never really thought to analyze his character.
    P.S. The last link you posted on my page didn't work. What was the title of the post you were referencing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you seen the movie? I highly recommend it. Girl, his character was so well executed that I had to testify! LOL

    But I don't recall which of your posts I commented on (so I could peek and see what link I was trying to share). Could you help me out? Thanks! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this movie and I have another awesome trait to add to the list: He waited to have sex with her until after she gave birth! He took care of her and asked for nothing in return *sigh* what a dream boat

    ReplyDelete